What is Microneedling?
Micro-Needling (Collagen Induction Therapy) in Peoria is a skin treatment involving an electric needling device containing a set of very fine needles that are used in a varying amount of depth depending on what condition is being treated. We use a medical grade numbing cream to the treatment area to allow for maximum comfort. A lightener, vitamin-c or collagen building serum is applied according to treatment type as added boosts for the skin and so the device can glide over the skin to create micro wounds signaling the body to produce the collagen and elastin. Micro-Needling breaks down old scar tissue and helps the body produce collagen and elastin leading to improved skin texture and tone.
Micro-Needling can treat or improve the following conditions:
- Mild to Moderate Acne
- Acne Scars/Scars
- Stretch Marks
- Fine Lines & Wrinkles
- Skin Texture & Pore Size
- Sagging Skin
What will I look like after Micro-Needling Treatment and what is the down time?
You will have slight redness & possible mild swelling for about 24-48hrs. It feels very similar to a sunburn. This greatly reduces within a few hours. You could remain pink up to 48hrs after treatment. During this time limit makeup and make sure to hydrate the skin with what product was recommended and to reapply sunscreen often. You will notice smoother more glowing skin in about 2 weeks and results take about 4-6 weeks. Depending on what is being treated & each individual case, you will need 3-6 treatments that are 4-6 weeks apart.
- No Accutane for the past 6 months
- Avoid retinoids, IPL/Lasertopical antibiotics, exfoliants, hydroquinone, sunburn, and benzoyl peroxide 2 weeks prior to procedure
- No waxing 5-7 days prior
- No shaving the day of the procedure
- No significant changes in the skin recently including breakdown of skin or excess dryness or sunburn
- Skin is clean without lotion, oil, makeup, deodorant, powder, perfume or sunscreen
Day of Treatment Instructions
- Omit lotions, creams, make up or deodorant in area to be treated
- Arrive with clean washed skin
- Inform provider of any changes in medical history and of all medications you are taking
Post- Treatment Instructions
Immediately after your Micro-Needling procedure Do Not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin or Advil. These agents will interfere with the natural
inflammatory process that is critical and responsible for your skin rejuvenation. Avoid sun tanning and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. When exposed to sun, always use sun screen SPF30 or above. You may clean your face with a gentle cleanser before bed.
- Redness or sensitivity might be present (and last up to a few days)
- Use Tylenol only as needed for any soreness
- Peeling may start 3-5 days after. Do not pick or scratch at treated skin but instead keep moisturized
- Avoid strenuous exercise or sweating for 24 hours due to open pores
- Treat skin gently washing with a gentle cleanser, cool water, using hands only and pat dry no earlier than 4 hours after treatment
- May use cool compresses after treatment if excessive discomfort, burning, redness, or swelling
- Avoid sun exposure for 3 days and if possible 10 days. Apply a minimum of SPF 30 every 2 hours
- May use mineral makeup after 24 hours
- Restart regular skin care regimen in 48 hours
- Recommend follow up treatments in 4 weeks and for best results a series of 3 – 5 treatments
What to Expect
Day 1: On the next day, you may clean your face as usual and apply makeup, lotions and other topical products as usual. Stay away from exfoliants or glycolic acids that are present is cleaners as these can make your skin very dry after the procedure. Be sure to use an SPF30 or greater sunscreen!
Days 2-7: Within two (2) days following your Micro-Needling procedure, you may notice skin dryness and flaking. This is due to an increased turnover of skin cells. During this period, you may apply your regular skin moisturizer. Follow the instructions given to you. Days later, your skin will start shedding. These are skin layers that would regularly shed a week later, but the Micro-Needling brings this skin to the surface sooner. During this temporary process, your skin will shed and be dry. You may use your regular skin care products once your skin is not irritated.
Days 7+: A week after the Micro-Needling procedure, most patients notice that their skin is smoother and more radiant. Continue with sun protection every day and reapply every 2 hours if outdoors.